Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sweet little lambs


Who would have thought these sweet little lambs would have almost been the death of me?


I already owned a lamb cutter before beginning these cookies....BUT.....



once I saw these.... I immediately began my search for a lamb cutter that was curvy and cute like this one.  




I found my cutter...and loved making these little guys...UNTIL... it came to the puffy little tufts of wool on their coats.  I was pretty much sweating the entire time I was making these little individual dots...fearing those unsightly "craters" might form.


But I'm happy to report....most of these sweet little lambs escaped those dreaded craters.


I have learned that every cookie decorating attempt is different.  Variants in weather (mostly humidity here in Kansas), baking time, and of course frosting consistency all have a HUGE impact on how my cookies turn out.  I LOVE a soft cookie...but I have also learned that even a slightly under-baked cookie can wreak havoc on my royal icing attempts.  I now roll out my dough using only my Joseph Joseph rolling pin....( I may happen to love it even more because it has the same name as my favorite middle man J). I roll the dough to a 1/4 inch thickness....which works for me and my trusty old rolling pin....keeps everything uniform.


I admit...in addition to using my fan to dry the fragile "puffy" parts (thank you, Callye)... I also used a toothpick to poke each little "puff," just to keep those evil craters away...  See what I mean...these cookies really almost were the death of me...but I LOVE them just the same!

3 comments:

  1. I love them too. They are adorable and you are not the only one who worries about those pesky little craters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're really very sweet. Love the curves, love the dots. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you love them, they're darling!

    ReplyDelete